This week’s conversation is with Abby Wambach, a two-time Olympic gold medalist, FIFA World Cup Champion, and the highest all-time international goal scorer for male and female soccer players.
Abby is co-founder of Wolfpack Endeavor, a training program that is revolutionizing leadership development for women in the workplace and beyond.
She also sits on the board of Together Rising, an all-women led nonprofit organization that has revolutionized grassroots philanthropy by raising over $16 million for women, families, and children in crisis.
In this conversation we discussion everything from what drove Abby to be great, how she’s adjusted to life after soccer, and why she cares so deeply about creating a equal playing field for everyone.
“Understanding yourself is the biggest game that we’re all playing. The more time I focus on my internal self, the better external life I live.”
In This Episode:
- What she’s up to now that she’s finished playing
- The thing that’s toughest post-soccer: Not having a set schedule
- Having to reframe what work means to her as she approaches her new career
- What working with a therapist changed for her
- The selfishness required to be great in sports
- Being motivated by attention due to being the youngest of 7 kids
- Her thoughts on fear and courage… why some choose to go forward and some don’t
- What triggered her problematic drinking habits
- How her DUI changed her and her response to shame
- Her process for figuring how who she is and creating a value system
- The definition of being an “Alpha”
- What got her into imagery in high school and why it’s been so valuable to her
- What she struggles with post-soccer
- How she looks at feminism and why it shouldn’t scare men
- What needs to be done to grow women’s sports
- Her definition of mastery